Saturday, November 03, 2007

Halloween



Well I keep meaning to make a better build video/description for this, but suffice to say it's hard when you're moving over a thousand miles away in less than a week.

This is my Halloween costume. It's basically an Arduino microcontroller powered by a 9v battery and running a modified version of the code included in the Knock Tutorial on the website. 12 LEDs are connected in parallel to one output on the Arduino, and are triggered every time I speak into the piezo disk. The piezo is mounted on a sponge to ensure that bonking the helmet won't trigger it, only my voice.

Things I would have done had I had more time:
- Wired the eyes to flicker also when I spoke (currently they are powered independently by another 9v battery)
- Twisted the wiring and shortened the leads on the LED's so I wouldn't be talking sideways into the piezo
- Made a voicechanger, rather than using one bought from a big-box chain store

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

It scared the bejeezus out of every kid coming to our door. Mission accomplished.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger about us said...

couldn't understand what you said in the video but i absolutely love the helmet. i particularly appreciate that your main goal was to scare the children...really awesome stuff.
oh, and i can pretty much assure you -without even remotely knowing you- that you are one of the crazies out there. period. and that, i appreciate more than anything!

6:53 PM  
Anonymous Columbus Georgia said...

This article was extremely interesting, especially since I was searching for thoughts on this subject last Thursday. Please come visit my site Columbus Georgia Yellow Pages when you got time.

1:14 AM  
Anonymous Amarillo Texas said...

I really liked your blog! You have some great content. Please come visit my site Amarillo Texas Yellow Pages when you got time.

1:15 AM  
Blogger poll said...

I can see that you are an expert at your field! I am launching a website soon, and your information will be very useful for me. Thanks for all your help and wishing you all the success in your business. Please come visit my site Chula Vista Business Directory when you got time.

11:57 AM  
Blogger poll said...

You got a really useful blog I have been here reading for about an hour. I am a newbee and your success is very much an inspiration for me. Please come visit my site Modesto Business Directory when you got time.

11:58 AM  
Anonymous San Jose Business Search said...

What a blog filled with vital and important information this is .. It must have taken a lot of hours for you to write these yourself. Hats off from me for your hard work. Please come visit my site San Jose Business Directory when you got time.

7:25 AM  
Anonymous Detroit Directory said...

That is some inspirational stuff... Never know that opinions could be this varied. Thanks for all the enthusiasm to offer such helpful information here. Please come visit my site Detroit Business Directory and give me any valuable feedbacks.

7:25 AM  
Blogger poll said...

You do have a point here :) I admire the stuff you post and the quality information you offer in your blog! Keep up the good work dude. Please come visit my site Mesa Yellow Page Business Directory when you got time.

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home