Wednesday, June 20, 2007

for want of a horseshoe nail

flexstone and switch adjuster

The last time I used a rhyme about nails was in reference to the Dismemberment Plan song Academy Award:

"Dangling yourself from the cross
all out of nails but here's your hammer boss!"


I think I just had the song stuck in my head, as it has little to do with anything.

Today's is in reference to the age old catchetism
For want of a battle the kingdom was lost.
And all for the want of a horseshoe nail.


This one makes a little more sense: little things, specifically tools and their ilk, are important. I'm learning this more as I get older, frequently as I try to use an inherited dremel to do jobs it is ill suited for.

Anyway, my uncle and my dad passed through a weekend or two ago. It turns out that one of many of my uncle's past jobs was for National Cash Registers. When I passed through Delaware on Fathers Day to visit Grandpa, he managed to dig out a switch adjuster and flexstone handy that he'll likely never use again.

Bringing yourself to spend money on esoteric tools that are equal to or lesser than the cost of shipping is difficult. Suffice to say, I was a happy boy.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous bad business ethics said...

This is just another reason why I like your website. I like your style of writing you tell your stories without out sending us to 5 other sites to complete the story. Please come visit my site ethics in business
give me any valuable feedbacks.

5:58 AM  
Anonymous business intelligence suite said...

I am not really sure if best practices have emerged around things like that, but I am sure that your great job is clearly identifed. I was wondering if you offer any subscription to your RSS feeds as I would be very interested and can't find any link to subscribe here I would love some feedback on my site group intelligence
when you got time. Thanks.

5:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home