Sunday, June 24, 2007

cash: crud

When getting my old car serviced, a 1990 honda accord, my Dad said that 700$ to keep it on the road was reasonable. This was in 2000, when it was around 10 years old and I wasn't paying for anything on the car.

That car was a hand me down from him, and now I'm driving a 1995 accord that was handed down from my sister. In some ways I traded up (far fewer miles and a functional AC) and in some ways I've traded down (automatic transmission, champagne paint job that's falling apart, and drives like an angry hog). I don't particularly like it and I've done only enough maintence to keep it on the road in the 2 years I've owned it, or around 400$.

All this is to say that the 700$/year metric caught up with me during a month where I had already spent a lot of money, and as such I've learned the value of saving for a rainy day. Now all that's left is learning how to live off of peanut butter and saltines for a month or two (I think the secret is to slip an orange in now and then so my teeth don't fall out).

Anyway, all this is to say that I'm learning how to manage finances, first to get myself out of this small hole and second to save up for a new car or a rainy day. Also I wanted to note that buying an iphone was once a folly-filled possibility, albeit an insane one. Now it's been relegated to the "maybe christmas" bin, or better still, the "maybe if I'm dropped on my head" bin.

Anyway: projects. Right now I'm working on a proof of concept, trying to hook up several shift registers and figuring out how to code them all. These next few weeks will be a little crazy though, with a trip to Miami planned and multiple old friends visiting me in town. We shall see how things come together.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home