Saturday, June 03, 2006

doodles from the first week of bar prep

The bar prep class I am taking is entirely on video, with different professors and lecturers giving talks on each different section.
The first section, multistate criminal law, was taught by Professor Whitebread, who looked like somehow Henry Kissinger and Ben Stein had a kid that could only talk out of one side of his mouth.

He was an amazing lecturer and kept the class laughing, which makes me think that likely we did crim law first entirely to keep us interested and not thinking we'd made a horrible mistake thinking we could become lawyers, or alternately spending 2500$ on this course.

Over the two days of whitebread, 6 hours total, I drew him many, many times in the margins of the first looseleaf notebook I've taken notes with in a long time.

I drew this the first day of lectures, before I was even introduced to the magic that is Whitebread.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
"yar, I be 12" (what with all the guns and pirate shit)


As usual, the first attempts are like you drew something from an angle that you can never get again.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I think I was still thinking "ben stein" at this point.


I love taking quotes out of context. This one is "one of doreen's spring guns turns ned's head into goo."
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The spring gun is the seminal device used to illustrate the boundaries of defense of home arguments in using deadly force against an invader. It comes up a lot.
Oh. And he's a loaf of bread now. An angry loaf of bread. I don't know why he's angry, as he was in fact quite chipper during his lectures, in an oddball sort of way.


"We're going to do subtle and sophisticated homicide today"
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


He had a bowtie that I kept forgetting to include.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


And somehow a pirate theme got incorporated. I think I kept drawing skulls and crossbones and somehow the two melded together.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Day 2: I just started with pirates right off the bat.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
My urge to try to make him talk out of the side of his mouth made him look more and more like Dick Cheney as I went on.


Whitebread meets Captain Crunch ("Fuck toucan sam!"). I actually sincerely hope he never finds these, at least not the ones with profanity in them. Not that they're at all accurate or well done or anything.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Whitebread was either a heavy smoker or was recovering from a cold, because he coughed quite a bit.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I realized I'd been drawing his glasses all wrong. That + fixing the mouth --> no longer looking so much like Cheney.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
He looks closer to the crazy he looked in real life here, although he kind of looks like your gym instructor now.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Yeah, I don't even know what's going on here. Suddenly he becomes a tree spirit.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Piratish.

There will likely be a lot more of these as the next two months of my life evaporate in a puff of smoke.

And in case you are wondering, yes Whitebread has a homepage

In closing, the mental image of Henry Kissinger and Ben Stein in bed together smoking cigarettes will likely haunt my nightmares tonight.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Salmar said...

Huh, first comment. Well, all I can say is that you perfectly depict the old professor, after seeing his (ahem) website.

8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home