Sunday, February 26, 2006

how i got started taking these high speed photos

Two years ago, I bought a wealth of chocolate bunnies at local dollar stores and Ekerds around town. I had no idea what I was going to do with these bunnies, so I simply froze them and figured that eventually I'd use them for something that didn't involve eating.

One night my friend David came over to my apartment to meet me before we headed out for a drink. I have been known to force random friends to do random things, and David is usually my most willing target. This night was special, for it yielded the following: a firecracker placed in a frozen chocolate rabbit.



The gif is all the essential frames from the AVI my digital camera captured crammed together.

The last day of classes, when everyone was drunk at a neighboring apartment, I decided to try again, this time with a web camera that had a higher FPS than my digital camera did.

It took some doing, but it worked:


What I liked about both of these was that there was an instant in which they were spectacular. The first had a single frame in which purple cracks showed through the chocolate, immediately before flying into indiscernably tiny bits. The second exploded in sparks that momentarily held the shape of the rabbit before collapsing outward.

Rest assured come post easter, I am doing this again. Both with movies and with the expanded strobe set up I plan on having by then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home